Meghalaya has its fair share of festivals just like the other North-Eastern states. And just like the rest of the states, Meghalaya’s festivals are absolutely stunning. Plan a trip to Meghalaya and give yourself a visual treat and the best travel experience of your lives! Here’s a list of 7 festivals from our Meghalaya travel guide:
1) Wangala:This festival celebrates healthy harvests in honour of the Sun- God of fertility, Saljong. It also signifies the beginning of winter in November.
Courtesy: India Untravelled
2) Doregata Dance: This is a popular dance festival in Meghalaya performed by both males and females. The female members attempt to knock off the turbans of the male partners. Fun, isn’t it?
Courtesy: Ministry of culture
3) Nongkrem Dance: Nongkrem is a festival marking a thanksgiving occasion to God for peace, harmony and prosperity among the people. The dance festival is held at Smit, the capital of the Khyrim Syiemship near Shillong.
Courtesy: Tour My India
4) Shad-Suk Mynsiem: In April, another thanksgiving festival is held for the onset of spring over the Khasi hills. The men and women dress in vibrant clothing and participate with zeal in the musical and dance festivities.
5) Behdeinkhlam: Behdeinkhlam is held in the month of July and is the most important dance festival of the Jaintias. Post the sowing period, young men make a gesture of driving away evil spirit and pestilence by beating the roofs of each house using long bamboos. They are held across the stream Wah-Ait-Nar which are later crushed by people as they dance in muddy water.
6) Autumn Festival: Watch Meghalaya come alive under the spell of the November Autumn Festival. The government and several organizations go all out to celebrate this colourful extravaganza.
Courtesy: Shillong Tours
7) Seng Kut Snem: This is a festival celebrated by the khasi community in honour of their ancestors. It is celebrated to influence the people to preserve and protect the khasi culture.
Get in touch with us at Offbeat Tracks for more Meghalaya Travel Information.